Who Can I Report My Landlord To Find the Right Authority?

When dealing with issues regarding your landlord, it’s important to know who to report them to. This article will guide you in finding the right authority to report your landlord and seek resolution.

Are you facing problems with your landlord and wondering how to address them? Reporting your landlord to the appropriate authority can help resolve these issues. Whether it’s maintenance problems, safety concerns, or violations of lease agreements, taking the right steps is crucial. In this article, we’ll explore different avenues you can take to report your landlord and ensure your rights as a tenant are protected.

1. Local Rental Housing Board or Agency

If you’re dealing with issues such as health and safety violations, illegal evictions, or unreasonable rent increases, your local rental housing board or agency is a good place to start. These organizations oversee the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, and they can provide guidance and escalate your complaint if necessary.

2. Tenants’ Rights Organizations

Tenants’ rights organizations exist to assist tenants in understanding their rights, resolving disputes, and advocating for their interests. They often have resources and information available to help you navigate the process of reporting your landlord. Reach out to these organizations in your area to get the support you need.

3. Local Housing Authority

If you’re dealing with issues related to public or subsidized housing, your local housing authority should be your point of contact. They can address concerns about repairs, maintenance, and other problems specific to these types of housing arrangements. Contact them to file a complaint or seek assistance.

4. Attorney General’s Office or Consumer Protection Agency

In cases where your landlord is engaging in fraudulent or illegal activities, such as discrimination, harassment, or breach of contract, you may need to report them to the Attorney General’s Office or a local Consumer Protection Agency. These organizations are responsible for enforcing laws that protect consumers and can take action against landlords who violate these laws.

5. Local Police or Code Enforcement Agency

In urgent situations where there are immediate safety concerns or illegal activities occurring on the property, it may be necessary to involve the local police or code enforcement agency. They can respond to emergencies, enforce safety regulations, and investigate any criminal activities involved with your landlord.


Can I report my landlord for not making necessary repairs?

Yes, if your landlord fails to address necessary repairs that affect your health and safety, you can report them to your local rental housing board or agency. They can help ensure that your landlord fulfills their responsibilities to maintain the property.

What should I do if my landlord is discriminating against me?

If you believe your landlord is engaging in discriminatory practices, you can report them to your local Attorney General’s Office or a dedicated agency that handles discrimination complaints. They can investigate your claim and take appropriate action against the landlord if necessary.

Is it possible to report my landlord for illegal eviction attempts?

Yes, you can report your landlord for illegal eviction attempts or threats. Reach out to your local rental housing board or agency to report the situation. Illegal evictions violate your rights as a tenant, and appropriate measures can be taken to address the issue.

Can I report my landlord for charging excessive rent?

If you suspect that your landlord is charging excessive rent, you can report them to your local rental housing board or agency. They can review your case, assess if the rent increase is unreasonable, and take necessary actions to rectify the situation.


When facing difficulties with your landlord, it’s important to know your rights and who to report them to. By reaching out to the appropriate authorities, such as rental housing boards, tenants’ rights organizations, or law enforcement agencies, you can seek assistance, resolve disputes, and ensure a safe and fair living environment. Don’t hesitate to take action when you encounter issues with your landlord.

Leave a Comment

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.