Where Tenants Can Complain In Kenya?

Tenants in Kenya can complain to the Rental Tribunal or the County Government Rental Housing Department. Kenya tenants who need to lodge complaints have the option of approaching either the Rental Tribunal or the County Government Rental Housing Department.

These two entities aim to address any issues or concerns faced by tenants, ensuring a fair and conducive living environment. The Rental Tribunal serves as an independent body that resolves rental disputes and provides legal assistance, while the County Government Rental Housing Department deals with matters related to rental housing policies and regulations.

By seeking assistance from these authorities, tenants in Kenya can ensure that their complaints are heard and appropriate actions are taken to address their grievances.

Government Agencies

Kenya provides several avenues for tenants to address their complaints and seek resolution. Government agencies play a vital role in ensuring the protection of tenants’ rights and addressing any grievances that may arise. Here are two key government agencies that tenants can turn to in Kenya.

Ministry Of Housing

The Ministry of Housing is a crucial government agency responsible for overseeing housing policies and addressing issues related to housing in Kenya. This ministry plays a significant role in ensuring that tenants’ rights are protected and their complaints are promptly dealt with. If you have concerns or complaints about your rental property, the Ministry of Housing is a primary entity to contact.

To register a complaint with the Ministry of Housing:

  1. Gather all relevant information regarding your complaint, such as details about the property, the landlord, and the specific issue you are facing.
  2. Contact the Ministry of Housing through their official website or the provided contact details.
  3. Prepare a formal written complaint stating the facts concisely, clearly explaining the issue you are facing, and providing any supporting evidence or documentation available.
  4. Submit the complaint to the Ministry of Housing, either through email, postal mail, or personally delivering it to their office.

Kenya National Commission On Human Rights

The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) is an independent government body established to promote and protect human rights in Kenya. This commission also plays a significant role in addressing grievances and complaints related to housing discrimination, landlord harassment, or any infringement of tenants’ rights.

If you believe your rights as a tenant have been violated, you can file a complaint with the KNCHR by following these steps:

  1. Visit the official website of the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights.
  2. Locate the complaint section and fill out the necessary details, including your personal information, the nature of your complaint, and any supporting evidence you may have.
  3. Provide a clear and concise description of the violation or grievance you are facing, ensuring to specify the impact it has had on your rights as a tenant.
  4. Submit the completed complaint form through the designated online submission portal or follow the instructions provided for manual submission.

Both the Ministry of Housing and the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights are here to assist tenants and ensure their concerns are appropriately addressed. By reaching out to these government agencies, tenants can seek guidance, potentially resolve their complaints, and contribute to the overall improvement of the rental sector in Kenya.

Non-governmental Organizations

Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) provide crucial support and assistance to tenants who face challenges with their landlords. These organizations are dedicated to advocating for tenant rights and ensuring fair treatment in the rental housing sector. In Kenya, two prominent NGOs that tenants can turn to for complaint resolution are the Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) and the Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (CHRD).

Federation Of Women Lawyers (fida)

The Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) is an esteemed NGO in Kenya that focuses on promoting and protecting the rights of women and children. FIDA offers legal aid and advice, as well as representation, to tenants who may have experienced discrimination, harassment, or unfair treatment by their landlords.

By reaching out to FIDA, tenants can benefit from the expertise of lawyers and legal professionals who specialize in tenancy matters. FIDA can guide tenants through the legal processes involved in filing complaints against landlords, ensuring their voices are heard and their rights are upheld.

FIDA recognizes the importance of secure and suitable housing for all individuals. Their dedication to gender equality and justice makes them an invaluable resource for tenants facing issues with their landlords. They actively work towards creating a fair and equal rental housing environment for all residents in Kenya.

Centre For Human Rights And Democracy (chrd)

The Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (CHRD) is another influential NGO in Kenya that provides support and assistance to tenants who need to address grievances with their landlords. CHRD focuses on safeguarding human rights and promoting accountability in society.

Tenants can take advantage of CHRD’s services, which include legal counseling and representation. The organization can help tenants understand their rights and options when it comes to dealing with problematic landlords. Whether it’s issues related to eviction, rental disputes, or breaches of tenancy agreements, CHRD works tirelessly to protect the interests of vulnerable tenants.

CHRD also advocates for legislative changes and policy reforms that benefit tenants in Kenya. Through their research and advocacy efforts, they aim to improve tenant rights and ensure landlords abide by the law.

Both FIDA and CHRD play pivotal roles in empowering tenants and ensuring their complaints are resolved fairly. These NGOs offer vital resources, knowledge, and legal expertise to help tenants navigate the often complex world of rental housing and landlord-tenant relationships in Kenya.

Frequently Asked Questions Of Where Tenants Can Complain In Kenya?

Where Do I Report Landlord Issues In Kenya?

To report landlord issues in Kenya, contact the Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning or the Rent Restriction Tribunal.

What Are My Rights As A Tenant In Kenya?

As a tenant in Kenya, you have certain rights. These include the right to peaceful enjoyment of the property, the right to be informed of any changes in rent or terms of the tenancy, the right to privacy, the right to a written tenancy agreement, and the right to lodge complaints with a dispute resolution body.

What Is The Distress Act For Rent In Kenya?

The Distress for Rent Act in Kenya provides recourse to landlords when tenants fail to pay rent, allowing them to seize and sell the tenant’s property to recover the owed amount.

Can A Landlord Evict A Tenant In Kenya?

Yes, a landlord can evict a tenant in Kenya through legal means specified in the Kenyan rental laws.


To conclude, it is essential for tenants to know their rights and the proper channels to voice their complaints in Kenya. By familiarizing oneself with the relevant laws, contacting the appropriate authorities such as the Rent Tribunal or the Rental Housing Dispute Resolution Committee, tenants can ensure their grievances are addressed in a fair and timely manner.

This will contribute to creating a positive renting experience for all parties involved.

Leave a Comment